Thursday 23 October 2008

Harvey Milk - My Love is Higher Than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be




I won't deny that although this review started out as a one of a whole LP, it has unquestionably turned into an absolute gushing eulogy to one of the most beautifully heart rendering pieces of music that has been written. Harvey Milk, to the untrained ear, are a band who may not be too dissimilar to you; they've released countless oop genre-defining records. Although I think I first heard them around 2005 or 2006, I, for some unknown reason, haven't given them much of a look in 'til recently.

The song in question is The Anvil Will Fall. I managed to stumble across this track like a clumsy schoolchild searching for some dubious punk rock track, maybe.

The Anvil Will Fall
absolutely shreds me to bits; it turns me into an emotional wreck, renders me useless, and then spits me back out waiting and wanting more. It's a song which pieces together all of those moments of extreme love, pain, loss and sorrow in your life. Together, its sheer beauty breaks my heart. I sit and pine for any given moment with those I've lost; everything else seems so completely meaningless. It's the anthem to anyone whose life was once filled with beauty and love but since been spun over with magnitudes of pain and devastation. You'll reflect on friendship, family, and love, you'll remember those safe places from your youth where you were once invincible, the faces, the smells, the sights, the familiarity, and you'll wonder how you ended up here. It's the soundtrack to anyone who has ever felt before. You'll feel exasperated as you watch all your memories shimmer in the light and then crumble underneath the sheer desolation that unfolds.

Harvey Milk website
Harvey Milk live set on the wonderful WFMU.org

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home