Wednesday 22 October 2008

Vivian Girls S/T LP




Hearing this LP for the first time made me stop in my tracks and actually stand still before I could work out what the hell was happening in my stereo. I don't know how exactly they've done it, but listening to Vivian Girls makes me feel like I've just rolled out of a 48 hour drug and booze fuelled session where they've kinda saved me and let me bask in the moment. You know, like you've been waiting for something to hit you and say "this is real, and this shit will actually destroy all", well finally you can say something does and it's like the wake-up call you've been longing for. This album does things that other won't. It makes me think of Jesus and The Mary Chain having sex with The Wipers. It's like pure garage punk having a thrash out with maybe even Kevin Shields, where both actually come out winning, high and proud. It's basically, without any 2D cliché unfolding, the ultimate shoe gazing, garage punk anthem. There's not one ounce of pretentiousness to be seen in the slightest; instead, it kicks ass.

This album is without a doubt one of the best things I've heard in a long, long time. In The Red records have been producing some of my favourite LPs of late; it's a label that's consistently been knocking out bands that actually get me excited -that feeling of when a record lands on my doorstep/on my turntable I genuinely get stoked to put the needle on the wax. The kind of shit that makes me feel like I'm sixteen again, hearing something truly breathtaking, its kinda akin to that feeling when I heard Daydream Nation for the first time. Holy Shit.

Vivian Girls

In The Red Records

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home